pan-users

[Pan-users] Priority of downloading headers

From: Jeff Berman
Subject: [Pan-users] Priority of downloading headers
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:42:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

pan now seems to dedicate all available connections to
downloading headers.  While this is great when nothing
else is going on, it does interrupt the downloading of
binaries.  I personally like to start some items
downloading, and then while that's going on I'll go to
another group to kill some time.  With pan 0.14, three
of my available four connections would continue with
downloads, and one connection would grab headers for
the new group.  With the new behavior, all binary
downloading halts until headers for the new group have
been grabbed.  This can delay downloads for some time
if there are 700,000 headers to get!

Perhaps if pan is idle it should dedicate all
connections to grabbing headers, but if it's already
in the process of downloading then it should use one
connection.  What do people think about this?  If I'm
not alone with this then I'll file a bug report.

Thanks!

Jeff