pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: reducing memory usage

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: reducing memory usage
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:20:27 +0000 (UTC)

Kurt B Cox <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:39:49
-0600:

> Hear, Hear
>
> 7.1.1 with EXA/Composite rocks.

=8^)

> What is video player gives you the best results?
>
> VLC, Mplayer, totem w/gstreamer or Xine?

Getting OT, but anyway, kmplayer using xine as the backend.  gstreamer as
the backend just doesn't work, I'm guessing because I've had nothing
properly configure it.  mplayer works and I've used it with various
frontends over the years, but I've not had as much luck with it as xine,
which seems to "just work" without the codec fiddling I've often found
necessary with mplayer.

For the frontend, I also just recently installed kaffeine based on
someone's recommendation and comment that it better integrates with KDE.
However, I've not used it enough to evaluate it yet.  I prefer KDE to
Gnome, thus KDE frontends to GNOME/GTK frontends, so haven't tried totem
or VLC, at least recently.  A quick emerge pretend reveals that both
require a number of GNOME dependencies I don't have merged ATM, and it's
not worth it to merge all that just for one app, when kmplayer works just
fine for the same purpose as it is.