pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:04:15 +0000 (UTC)

Douglas Bollinger <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 02 Oct 2006
17:39:46 -0400:

> Well, I use Gentoo as well, Duncan, but I'm master of my box and still use the
> old gcc:
>
> address@hidden ~ $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)
>
> I just build Pan 0.115 straight from the tarball without any problems using
> the regular defaults and the resultant binary works perfectly fine.
>
> Perhaps this is the problem while trying to build Pan on a 512M box:
>
> 0292 doug      25   0  601m 591m 5060 R   99 29.2   1:01.46 0 cc1plus
>
> It's not a gcc or Pan bug, you just need some more RAM or grab binaries from
> someone that does.

I suppose that's a reasonable choice on x86, where the improvements in
gcc 4.1 aren't that phenomenal.  On AMD64, the story is VERY VERY
different, as gcc 4.1 is the first gcc truly designed with the amd64 arch
in mind and the change between 3.4 and 4.1 is HUGE!!  Therefore, while
it's perfectly sane that someone on x86 might stay with gcc 3.4 (or
whatever), the most sane reaction on amd64 at least is to drop gcc 3 and
forget about it like one tries to forget about a bad dream.  Yes, based on
my own experience anyway, the difference is /that/ dramatic!

BTW, that /minor/ problem/bug on x86 with gcc 3.4 was likewise rather
larger on amd64, where a single make job at one point takes (IIRC) 1.3 GB
of memory ALL BY ITSELF!  Those with a half a gig of RAM and a half a
gig of swap can just forget it -- at least with any sort of
optimization -- and even a gig of RAM plus swap has caused problems for
some. On gcc 4.1.1, it's a MUCH more reasonable ~200 MB or so, max.