pan-users

[Pan-users] Spellcheck

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Spellcheck
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 07:35:15 +0000 (UTC)

OK, this sounds /far/ too "MSWormOS-esque" for my liking.  In fact, it's
possibly the first time since I switched some years ago that I've had this
happen, but anyway...

For some reason I can't trace, I lost spellchecking a couple days ago.
After downgrading, testing, finding no change, reupgrading, even
rebuilding a number of related packages (the gtk+-2.10.5 I just upgraded
to and 2.10.4, pan-0.115 w/ amd64 patch and 0.114, gtkspell, enchant...
doing a revdep-rebuild a couple times to see if portage detected any bad
dependencies that needed rebuilt, no it didn't), I still had no
spellcheck.  Yes, the spellcheck option was checked.  Then I simply
toggled it off and back on, and vwalla! it worked!

As I said, something forgetting its settings and having the problem solved
by simply toggling them sounds /far/ too much like what used to happen
when I was on MSWormOS for my comfort.  I'm NOT used to having that happen
on freedomware Linux!  Anyway, I can't for sure say that was /all/ it took
due to the other stuff I tried in the mean time, but whatever, if it took
the other stuff, it also took toggling it to fix it, as whatever else
might have fixed it didn't trigger until that toggle.

Just a hedzup in case anyone else runs into the problem.  I /think/ I had
spellcheck working after the switch to pan 0.115 (w/ amd64 compiling
patches) so that wasn't directly it, but I can't say for sure.  Similarly,
I /suspect/ it may have been due to the gtk+ upgrade to 2.10.5, but can't
say for sure on that either.  In any case, anyone else experiencing the
problem, try the simple spellcheck toggle before trying anything else.
It's /far/ too strange for comfort, but as long as it doesn't reoccur, I
guess I'll not worry too much about it.