pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Disk dowload slowdown

From: fred
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Disk dowload slowdown
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:49:17 -0500

David Kelly wrote:
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:33:42PM -0500, fred wrote:
I have noticed that if I am running something disk intensive(working
with 5gb files) while pan is running,  pan will stop/slow down while
waiting for the disk (from 600 KiB/s down to 200 KiB/s). With a dual
processor system I leave pan downloading while I am working, so the slow
down is not an uncommon event. Is there an easy way to have pan lazy
write (or something)?

With FreeBSD this only happens during assembly of cached articles into
final product at the Save As... location. Meanwhile it appears another
thread has already started on the next items in the queue, and all this
happens quickly enough that its very hard to say how download is
affected.

Doesn't matter if par2 is cranking its heart out at 25 MB/sec at the
same time as pan is downloading. Pan actually slows par2 which will
usually run at disk speed if it has the drive to itself.

Have noticed surfing news in pan while downloading can slow download.

Single P4-2.8GHz with HT disabled.

--David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden