pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Quote characters in 0.112?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Quote characters in 0.112?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:56:47 +0000 (UTC)

Colin Campbell <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:19:24
-0600:

> My question, for the gathered wisdom found here, is: how do I persuade
> 0.112 to recognise the left square bracket ] as a quote character? I've
> checked  in ~/.pan2/config.xml and the relevant tag is this: <value
> key="text_quote_chars" type="s">:&gt;]|}</value> but apart from that, I'm
> baffled.

FWIW, 0.112 is a bit old ATM.  0.116 is the latest and has a significant
number of fixes since 0.112. See the pan site for downloads.

As for your question... where you are getting config.xml from?  Pan uses
preferences.xml in the tarballed sources, and not only don't I see a
text_quote_chars key, but preferences.xml doesn't even /have/ keys!  It
has flags (boolean), ints, strings, and geometry, no generic "keys", so
whatever file you are looking at, it's the wrong one!  You didn't simply
copy over your old 0.14.x pan config, did you?  That might explain the
strange file if you did, as that sounds rather more like old-pan than
new-pan.

Meanwhile, the setting appears to be hard-coded at the moment in new-pan.
I'd guess it's a bit late to get the feature in for pan 1.0, targeted for
the end of the month if no serious bugs come up.  However, file a bug on
it so it isn't forgotten, and there's a decent chance at least a config
file entry for it will make it after the 1.0 freeze is lifted.  I'm not
sure Charles will want to complicate the GUI preferences for it, but there
are already a couple settings that can only be tweaked by editing
preferences.xml directly, and it seems like a reasonable request, so I'd
call the chances decently good, anyway.

Until then, chances are if you want it bad enough, you'll have to edit the
sources and compile yourself to get it. =8^(