pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Building from CVS

From: Guilhem Bonnefille
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Building from CVS
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:53:24 +0200

My 2 cents...

On 10/16/06, walt <address@hidden> wrote:
When updating my sources from CVS today I noticed that configure.in
had been updated.  I assumed that I needed to run autogen.sh in
order to use the updates in the build process, is this correct?

Normally, the generated Makefiles have rules to rebuild configure from configure.in. So I suppose  it's the same for pan. A single "make" will normally rerun everything needed.

BTW, the INSTALL file says nothing about using autogen.sh, which
might be very confusing for someone who hasn't read the pan website
carefully.

I have the same problem on other projects. In my mind, autogen.sh is a tool that only CVS users need. More "standard" users (using the tarballs) receive a generated configure script. So autogen.sh is not necessary for them.
I solved this by adding a README.dev file (README for developers) which describe the full process.

--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- #UIN: 15146515 JID: address@hidden MSN: address@hidden