pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: icons

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: icons
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:49:27 +0000 (UTC)

John Aldrich <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 13 Nov
2006 09:52:28 -0500:

> I know what a RED puzzle piece means and what a GREEN puzzle piece means, but
> what the heck does a GREY puzzle piece mean??? In ABSM1950s there are a
> number of posts that are *grey* puzzle pieces to go with a few red ones and a
> LOT of green ones.

Are you sure they are puzzle pieces and not envelopes?  Red and green
puzzle pieces are incomplete and complete binaries.  A white envelope is
normally used for a text post.[1]  At resolutions making the icons tiny
enough, however, it's not easy to distinguish between an envelope and a
puzzle piece, so that might be the mixup.  It's also possible there are
gray puzzle pieces, however, and I've just never paid that close attention
when they were shown, in which case I'm not sure either.

[1] Note that there's no guaranteed way to tell whether a post is text or
not just from the headers, and sometimes pan might misread the hints
available to it and guess wrong, in which case it could get the wrong icon.