pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan-0.119 issue
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:00:55 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:37:39
+0000:

> Core files... good idea and I might have to do the same, since I'm seeing
> a problem that doesn't want to duplicate when I'm running from anywhere
> with STDOUT/STDERR open or with gdb attached.  In my case, it's upon
> initial pan start, sometimes when I first hit the "get headers for
> subscribed groups" button (or keyboard accel), pan simply disappears.

FWIW, I returned to glibc-2.4-r4 (had to hack portage to get it to do it
since the package has a safety feature preventing downgrades, and my
non-pan issue is gone, as I expected it would be from an earlier test.
I'm not sure about the pan crashes as they were rather less frequent and
thus harder to duplicate, but so far, so good. =8^)

I think glibc-2.5 simply has memoryops issues on amd64 (maybe SMP
related, thus not so many others seeing it?). It certainly does on /my/
AMD64! I have it unmerged and masked now so no more issues with it for me,
at least until a Gentoo revision bump at which point I'll test it again.