pan-users

[Pan-users] Post-to server distinct from posted-to newsgroup?

From: Wil Cooley
Subject: [Pan-users] Post-to server distinct from posted-to newsgroup?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:13:49 +0000 (UTC)

I've been using the new Pan for the last month or so and am impressed with
the new design and performance.  Great work, developers!

My only complaint so far, however, is that the server to post articles to
is tied to the posting profile, rather than the server from which the
posted-to group originates.  What is the use-case for that?  I cannot
image that is a common case; a far more common case, I suspect, is reading
different newsgroups through different servers and needing to post through
the originating server.

For example, I'm reading this through GMane as
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user and to post to it, I have to be sure I've
selected my GMane posting profile so the post goes to news.gmane.org.  For
USENET groups, comp.lang.c for example, I need to post to my ISP's news
server.  There will never be a case, AFAICT, where I would post to GMane
groups through my ISP's server or vice versa.

Yes, I know I can manually edit preferences for each group to select the
posting profile for each group, but that seems backwards--NOT posting
through the originating server should be a special case.

I have a few ideas of how this could be resolved:

  o Have a special selection in the posting profile under "Post Articles
  via" for "Default for Group" and make that the default.  99% of people
  will not need to change it and one posting profile would be all that is
  necessary, even for multiple groups.

  o Do away with the "Post Articles via" entirely and only post through
  the server that carries the posted-to group.

  o Associate each group only with posting profiles where the server is
  listed as the "Post Articles via".

Wil