pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Question about Multi-Part Post Detection (BNR2-like feat

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Question about Multi-Part Post Detection (BNR2-like feature)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:09:59 +0000 (UTC)

Robert Krig <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:43:11
+0100:

> Does Pan have the ability to do something like that? Specifically, the
> ability to view multi-part posts as a single collapsed thread.

You didn't miss anything, on that anyway.  pan doesn't have that ability
(at present).  IIRC it has been requested, but I don't know if it has been
bugged.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that unlike BNR2, pan does text and text-posting
as well as binary harvesting.  I haven't thought this thru, but it's
possible there are complications from the text end (like recognizing text
replies to such a post, posted as a reply to something else, so the re
doesn't do it).  pan used to make mistakes occasionally, judging text as
binary and binary as text.  I believe the algorithm has been improved a
bit and I haven't seen any such mistakes for awhile, but it's not as
simple as one might think, particularly when there's no formal rules for
multi-part vs. multi-segment (or however you want to label them) in terms
of the subject line, which is about the best data pan has to go on from
the overviews, AFAIK.

Of course, if you happen to be a programmer, Charles tends to be pretty
open to patches (tho now it'd wait until after 1.0), as long as they
aren't interfering with GNKSA or the like. =8^)