pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Breakthrough using 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Breakthrough using 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:27:17 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 27 Nov
2006 16:17:01 +0000:

> On Sunday 26 November 2006 7:02 pm, Brad Rogers wrote:
>
>> > However, I cannot find any option to  download BODIES as well as
>> > headers. No longer available, or just hidden by default?
>>
>> Currently, no longer there.
>
>   Oh dear. That means I can't use the new Pan until I move to BroadBand...
>
>   What a shame. I was really looking forward to the New World!
>
>   Any hope of restoring it?

It's likely to be back in some form during the pre-1.1 betas (we're in
feature freeze for 1.0 right now).  As discussed and already positively
commented on by Charles, the form will likely be scoring related --
probably an option to automatically download watched articles at least,
with some discussion as to whether high and medium scores (so anything
scored over zero) would have similar options -- I'm guessing they probably
will as the feature is frequently requested, but whether it'll be at the
same point as the watched or not I don't know.

In the mean time, I can't quite see how pan's not being able to do it now
keeps you from running it on dialup.  If necessary, simply download
overviews in one session, then the next session, download overviews and
the messages from the previous session, so each time you are downloading
the messages from the previous session and getting new overviews to have
the messages that match them downloaded next session.

Note that it's now possible to feed pan nzb files on the command line, and
have it do those tasks, which or without opening a normal gui window.  pan
--help for details.  You may therefore be able to script pan to download
both overviews and bodies, tho I'm not familiar enough with the nzb format
to know for sure how it works except that it's the tasklist format pan
uses now, so it should be able to do the actions pan can do.  Since it's
also possible to script the dialup and disconnect, it should be possible
to script the entire connect, download, disconnect sequence, and stick it
in a cron job, automating the thing entirely, so when you open the
pan-gui, everythings already downloaded and you are running local only, no
dialup needed.

Alternatively, use a traditional news server, leafnode or the like, to
download, then simply connect to it on localhost from pan.