pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Mark All Groups Read in 0.126

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Mark All Groups Read in 0.126
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:44:17 +0000 (UTC)

Keith <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 10 Apr 2007
16:17:46 -0700:

> I have to select each group in the new PAN then mark it read. Is there
> any way to mark all groups read at one time? Control-A will not select
> all groups in the group pane so I can mark the groups read.

Group pane multi-select is a much requested feature.  Unfortunately,
Charles says it's non-trivial to implement due to the way the widget
works.  Initially he wasn't going to do it as a result (or simply
"bluesky" it), but with the number of folks requesting it, he's accepted
the bug, but for 1.1 (with 1.0 the next stable, due shortly), not 1.0.

Thus, there's no direct way to do it, unfortunately.  In the GUI, about
the best you can do is check the mark group read when leaving group, or
mark group read before fetching headers, boxes in preferences, thus
automating it to that extent anyway.

It should also be possible to create a script that would do it, from
outside of pan.  I haven't taken a look at the details, but pan tracks
messages seen and read with standard newsrc files, which have a pretty
well human readable and editable text format, so hacking up a simple bash
(with awk/sed)/perl/python/whatever script to launch when pan is closed
shouldn't be too difficult for the suitably skilled and inclined.  After
all, that's essentially what sharing the newsrc files with another news
client that uses them would accomplish.  From there, it's trivial to
include that script in a pan-launcher, such that it runs automatically at
pan exit (or next pan start, if desired), thus accomplishing what you had
in mind that way.