pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.128 "SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea"

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.128 "SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea"
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:08:58 +0200

On Sun 22 Apr 2007 at 02:57:39 +0000, walt wrote:
> I'm curious why your build doesn't have debugging symbols, but mine does.

Indeed. I didn't see any -g options anywhere.
A difference may be that I am compiling inside the pkgsrc framework,
which has wrappers for all sorts of commands (most importantly the
compiler). The idea there is that configure and the compiler etc. only
see the packages that were declared as requirements (for accurate
dependency tracking). It does that mainly by keeping the normal include
directories out of sight, instead relying on a private include directory
which has symlinks for only the allowed header files. The same when
linking with libraries. You could see an example of a translated and
original command line in my original mail, I think, to give an
impression. That sort of thing tends to make debugging a bit more
difficult...

> My pan Makefile has CFLAGS = -g -O2 by default, with no intervention from
> me.  (This is on x86 linux.)

I'll see what happens if I keep pkgsrc out of the loop, the result may
well be different (or at least easier to manipulate ;-)
(a bit later) Indeed, now I do get those options too. And now that I'm
running this debugging version, the crash does not occur anymore.
And having foolishly destroyed the crashing file, I'll have to come back
later when I have something useful to report...

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.