pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to remove MIME encoding?

From: Vitaly Samourov
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to remove MIME encoding?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 20:42:56 +0400

Hi Duncan and Loki,
I appreciate your spending time to answer for my questions!

My experiments with sending post via Thunderbird's SMTP were
not successful.
So I decided (for now at least) to use thunderbird if I want to post
something in to the newsgroup. But since I'm more reader of news,
it happens very rarely.

Br
-Vitali

* Duncan <address@hidden> [Tue, 1 May 2007 09:00:13 +0000 (UTC)]:
Vitaly Samourov <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below,
on  Tue, 01 May 2007 00:28:40 +0400:

> I have tested this (group preferences -> koi-8r), but it does not
help.

As I said, I have little knowledge of i18n (internationalization, i,
18
letters, n, in this case, as related to charsets), so can't directly
help
with that.

> Could the problem be here? -> Thunderbird uses my smtp server for
> outgoing posts, but Pan allows sending only via news server (Am I
> correct?)
>
> Maybe news server does a MIME re-encoding?

I don't fully understand fidonet or other moderated newsgroups either,
in
part because I've not had to deal with such groups very often, so have
never /had/ to understand them in ordered to troubleshoot. If it
didn't
work, I just skipped it and went elsewhere. However, that said,
here's
how I understand them to work, but perhaps you know this and more and
should be explaining things to me?

Moderated newsgroups (including fidonet groups as gated to USENET),
unlike other newsgroups, don't immediately make available posts to
them.
Posts must instead be forwarded (via mail) to the official group
moderator, who then either approves or rejects the post.  If it's
approved, it's reposted to the newsgroup with a header indicating
approval. (It is said that one notorious moderated hacker group was
in
fact specifically setup with a fake moderator, the idea being that
those
who knew enough to be able to correctly fake the approved header were
by
definition qualified to post.  Now days, I understand most moderated
groups use key-signed approvals, making faking the approval rather
more
difficult.)

Thus, while a properly configured on the server moderated group should
allow posting, but then forward them to the moderator (via mail)
rather
than making them directly available in the group as usual, it's also
possible for a news client, given the proper information about the
group,
to mail the moderator directly, bypassing the news server, so while
the
server is used to download messages, they are posted via mail instead.

AFAIK you are correct, pan doesn't do this by default (maybe
thunderbird
does, I wouldn't know, nor would I know if additional information is
necessary for it to do so if it does).

However, pan CAN use your mailer to reply via mail as well or instead
of
replying via group.  This is normally used to send a reply directly to
the poster (via mail) as well as to the group, but it can be used to
send
the reply anywhere via mail, including to the group moderator directly
if
you have the address available to put in.  Simply put an email address
in
the mailto header, deleting anything in the newsgroups header, and pan
will then hand off to your regular mailer (or whatever you have pan
configured to use for mail, it must handle mailto: protocol however,
some
don't) for processing.

Here, my configured mailer is kmail (pan is set to use the KDE
default,
which is kmail in my configuration), which is setup to add its own sig
and etc.  Thus, unless I intervene when the message pops up in kmail
before it's sent from there, anything pan forwards via mail gets two
sigs, the pan sig and the kmail sig, and is sent from kmail's default
address (which is not the one I use for news), so I must remember to
change it in the mailer before I tell it to send.

As for fidonet, they are their own network that AFAIK predated or at
least grew up in parallel to USENET.  As such, they must be gateway-ed
USENET, and what you see in pan when you see a fidonet group is the
gateway-ed fidonet group.  As gateway-ed newsgroups, fidonet groups
appear as moderated groups. However, I /believe/ they are in some
ways
easier to automate than regular moderated newsgroups, in that a single
moderator normally covers a whole segment of fidonet.  Thus, it's
relatively ease for a news client such as thunderbird that does mail
as
well, to be configured to direct-mail the moderator, instead of
posting
to the moderated group on the server and hoping the server is
configured
properly to forward the message from there.  Regardless, pan doesn't
pretend to be a mail client, only a news client, so it hands mail off
your mailer as explained above. This will by definition make it
harder
to automate such read-via-news-post-via-mail things, and at present,
pan
doesn't do it. You either send to the newsgroup and hope the server
is
configured correctly to forward to the moderator, or you send the
reply
via mail and manually put in the moderator's address. That bypasses
the
news server, but course you must know the moderator's address in
ordered
to do it, and it'd be a hassle to do in any sort of volume.

However, if you are active in a lot of fidonet groups, it would
perhaps
be better to use them directly, rather than trying to gateway thru
usenet. As I said, however, I know little about fidonet, so just how
do that is as they say, "left as an exercise for the reader." <g>