pan-users

[Pan-users] Weird header pane behaviour in 0.131

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: [Pan-users] Weird header pane behaviour in 0.131
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:36:09 +0200 (CEST)

This may not be new in 0.131, I went there from 0.126, but anyway: I
have "Get new headers when entering group" set, and generally mark
everything read when I leave a group, i.e. there are no "old" articles
present when I enter a group and thus initiate the "header getting".

In this scenario, 0.131 throws up a single article in the header pane
immediately and then continues with the header download, and when all
headers are downloaded and sorted according to my setting (Subject) and
the header pane fully populated (much more than a screenfull), it takes
great care to have that first article positioned at the top of the pane
view - with the result that it's somewhere arbitrarily down in the
middle of the header list instead of at the top where I'd prefer to
start reading...

I've occasionally seen 0.126 do something similar, in that it would
incrementally fill the header pane, and position it such that the first
chunk is at the top of the view, which is generally not at the top of
the list - but most of the time (for me) it doesn't display any headers
until all are downloaded, and the view ends up at the top of the list
like it should. Might depend on the number of unread articles.

Maybe it's just me, but I've a hard time seeing why anyone would want
the view positioned anywhere other than at the top when a group is
entered. Possibly if you have old articles in the group, it might be
nice to have the first new article at the top of the view - but that is
not what happens currently unless you sort by date, and maybe not even
then (I haven't really checked, but I guess that first article is simply
the first that is retrieved from the server(s) - i.e. roughly the
article-numerically first).

--Per Hedeland