pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Command line use

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Command line use
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:09:15 +0000 (UTC)

Ted Sudtell <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 12 Jun
2007 10:25:40 -0700:

> I would like to use Pan from cron,  I have a satellite connection with a
> download limit 21 hrs a day.  12pm to 3am is open for unlimited
> download. I did a lookup in the archives and saw a few messages back in
> 2002. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Frequently requested feature, but AFAIK, still a work in progress.  I
haven't actually checked recently, but last I knew, you had to download
headers manually.  You can then set pan offline and queue up a bunch of
downloads, then quit pan.  Then restarting pan will fetch the queued
downloads.  (I think it starts back up in online mode, that is, it
doesn't store offline mode status, but I'm not positive and obviously, am
not going to try it right now to verify.  =8^)  Note that pan does take
NZB files on the command line, and actually stores its queue as an NZB
file.  So you can use that method for exporting NZBs as well, and import
them via command line if you have an NZB source.

Eventually, slated for after the 1.0 stable release which is coming up,
pan will get the ability to autodownload headers, probably as part of the
scoring options (so you may have to create a score to give everything you
want to download a positive or watched score, but that's doable, once the
autodownload code is there at all), but it doesn't have it yet.

One option you can use as a workaround would be to setup a proper local
newsserver, such as leafnode, and have it do your autodownloading.  Then
simply connect pan to it.