pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filtering on the basis of a missing header field

From: Jack Cuyler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering on the basis of a missing header field
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:17:51 -0700, JCA wrote:

> Is it possible to assign scores (and therefore, filtering) on the basis
> of missing header fields? I have noticed that some spammers omit some
> fields, like NNTP-Posting-Host; it would be nice to be able to plonk
> postings lacking such field.

According to the RFC, that particular header is generated server-side:

3.4.1 NNTP-Posting-Host

   This line is added to the header of a posted article by the server.
   The contents of the header is either the IP address or the fully
   qualified domain name of the client host posting the article.  The
   fully qualified domain name should be determined by doing a reverse
   lookup in the DNS on the IP address of the client.  If the client
   article contains this line, it is removed by the server before
   acceptance of the article by the Usenet transport system.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2980.html

Additionally, many, if not most, pay servers do not include this header
at all.

--
Cheers,
Jack

I AM NOT A LICENSED HAIRSTYLIST
I AM NOT A LICENSED HAIRSTYLIST
I AM NOT A LICENSED HAIRSTYLIST
I AM NOT A LICENSED HAIRSTYLIST

        Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode AABF04