pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 'Never Expire Old Articles'

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 'Never Expire Old Articles'
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:56:22 +0000 (UTC)

Karl Stevens <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 03 Jul 2007
10:52:41 +1000:

> I have the 'never expire old articles' set in my news server preferences
> box. Could anyone enlighten
> me on the consequences? Will my .pan2 folder keep growing and am I able
> to delete old articles manually?

Yes/yes/yes.

I have my text group pan instance set to never expire as well.  As the
number of posts grows, pan will get slower at opening, particularly in a
cold-cache situation, when it has to read everything from disk.  I have
plenty of memory (8 gigs), so I just load pan with KDE and keep that
instance of pan open.  When I hibernate/suspend-to-disk (using the
mainline kernel functionality), pan suspends with the rest of the
system.  That does dump cache, so when the system loads again at resume,
if I quit pan it takes awhile to load again, but since it stays running,
it stores everything it has loaded ans sorted in pan's memory, so it
doesn't have to sort it again as long as I don't quit and restart pan.
That works fine, and pan's always loaded when I want to use it.

I think I've been running it that way about a year, so I have about a
year's worth of text posts around, for the groups I follow, anyway.  On
disk, it appears I'm using 141 megabytes total, 128 megs of that in the
article cache, 8 megs in the groups list.

Obviously, the biggest storage expense is in the cached messages.  You
can delete those manually, no problem.  However, pan keeps the overviews
and threading info separately, and just deleting the cached articles
won't delete that.  In theory, you could clean up the threading as well,
as the files for that are editable plain text too, but it'd be a bit of a
hassle.  I've not tried it, so can't say for sure whether it's the
threading or the cache loading that takes the extra time.  I think it's
the threading, however, so just deleting the cache won't get all your pan
simply clear out the threading and overview indexing files as well, then
redownload what's still on the server if desired, if you want all your

There is another alternative, however.  Note that while the expiration
choices in the dropdown boxes are rather arbitrary, pan actually stores
the expiration time in days, in the server file.  If you edit it directly
there, you can set any number of days you want, 365 if you want a year,
longer if you want, or a single day, or anything in between.  So if you
simply don't like the choices in the GUI, edit the config directly and
set it to what you want there.  I might eventually do that, setting it to
say 270 days (~9 months).  However, the pan load times aren't /that/ bad
yet, as long as I set pan to load and stay loaded, so no urgency so far.