pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 'Never Expire Old Articles' (Duncan)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 'Never Expire Old Articles' (Duncan)
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 21:55:20 +0000 (UTC)

Travis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 04
Jul 2007 12:24:31 -0700:

> pan-users-bounces+travis.shoreline=gmail.com-qX2TKyscuCcdnm
address@hidden
> wrote:
>>> I have my text group pan instance set to never expire as well.
>>
>>     This may be a silly question but - how on earth do you do that? I
>> have clicked on just about every single menu on Pan 0.131, and have so
>> far been unable to find how to do that.
>>

> Go to "Edit"---->"News Servers" and click on ther news server in
> question and change the expire time.

That answers the expiration part.  The text instance part is a bit more
complicated.  pan looks for its data in the directory set in the PAN_HOME
environmental variable.  If it's not set, pan defaults to (on *ix)
~/.pan2 (someone else can say what the MSWormOS equivalent is).

So I simply have different pan launcher scripts set up for each of my pan
instances.  Each script sets PAN_HOME to a location different than the
others, so I can run multiple pan instances with separate settings and
cache for each one.  (For settings such as the scorefile, I use symlinks,
all pointed at a common file, tho of course that's not an available
option on MSWormOS since it doesn't have symlinks.)

Here, I have three pan instances, a text instance, a binaries instance,
and a test instance (for groups I want to try, before subscribing to in
my main text or binary instances).  However, there's no reason someone
couldn't setup separate instances based on subject, say for the binary
side, music, pr0n-stills, pr0n-movies, TV-shows, a "G" rated instance
with groups for the kids, etc.