pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: attachment name is '(null)'

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: attachment name is '(null)'
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 09:31:26 +0000 (UTC)

Al Niessner <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 14 Jul 2007
21:21:24 -0700:

> Platform: Feisty Fawn (AMD 64)
> Pan: version 0.131 from Garrison Hoffman
> (http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/)
>
> If I save the attachment on a single-part post, then it always seems to
> work. If I save the attachment on a multi-part post, then it sometimes
> saves the file as '(null)' instead of 'a.part01.rar' or whatever. When
> it fails, the message box says that it is saving the post as '(null)'
> but does not label it as an error. When it fails the posted name has a
> space in it.
>
> I take it this is a bug, but I cannot help debug it anymore because I do
> not know how to turn up the output levels.

Thanks.  If you haven't already, please file a bug on it.  Pan uses GNOME
bugzilla, but the easiest way if you've configured pan's browser settings
is to simply use the feedback/bug-report item in the help menu, which
will do a bit of the work (setting it to pan and etc) for you.

I've not had that issue but it has been awhile since I used pan for
binaries, and IDR anything like that, but that may just have been that I
didn't run into any filenames with spaces.  It's also possible it's not
directly a pan bug, but a gtk+ bug, and maybe you just happen to be
running the bad version of GTK+.

As for turning on debug, try pan --debug from a terminal window.  That
turns on some output, but I'm not sure if it'd do what you need or not.
Charles may see the issue immediately when you file the bug, or can tell
you to try various additional troubleshooting steps and/or patches
(assuming you can compile from tarball) if necessary.

If you will, reply back here with the bug number or URL once it's filed,
as I'd like to CC myself and see what he says.  (I'm running SVN version
anyway, and check the SVN logs when it updates, so I'd see it there, but
if it takes a bit of tracing to fix, I get to see that as it updates, if
I follow the bug.

BTW, Charles may be on vacation ATM, as I've not seen any SVN updates in
some time -- and IIRC the last one was a commit by someone else, just a
language file update.  My last update was 2007-07-06, and before that,
2007-06-24, according to my logs.  There was just one SVN commit in that
period, the language file update.

Either that or Charles thinks it's ready for 1.0 stable, but is holding
off on releasing it a few weeks to see if any additional bugs are
reported -- and now you have one. =8^P