pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.120 won't start from Applications menu after crash

From: Roger T. Imai
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan 0.120 won't start from Applications menu after crash
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:16:57 -0500

Duncan:

Thank you so much for your well-considered help. It's great to see that the high quality of communications survives in private mailing lists, when it's gone down the toilet on Usenet discussion forums.

As I had already saved all my attachments to -/rtimai/Documents/Downloads I didn't hesitate to delete the contents of the .pan2 folder, and as you predicted, I was able to start Pan normally from the Applications menu! I recreated my newsgroup subscriptions within minutes. Thanks again SO MUCH!

I remember providing support for Windows users who'd never seen the DOS command line, or knew what directories were, or even how to use Windows Explorer, and now I feel like them, bewildered by all these cryptic-looking folder names, and not knowing their purpose. In Windows up through XP, I knew what every single folder was for.

One of my reasons for using Pan in the first place was to borrow Ubuntu/Debian/Linux manuals from alt.binaries.ebooks.technical. There were a couple that discussed the philosophical differences between *nix and Windows, which I think will be a boon to my learning Linux. I am a confirmed Linux convert, and have no intention of ever going back to commercial software, which is becoming more and more bloated with user-accountability features (not to mention security concerns.) OpenOffice.org, which I switched to while still running Windows (and now replaced by the Linux version) does everything that I need to do in Office 2007 at work.

Thanks so much for your help again. You'll see me on the Linux forums eventually, I'm sure.

Oh yes, the Ubuntu repository doesn't list higher than Pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp,) where do they get these names from, anyway. When I figure out how to upgrade to 0.130 I'll do it.

Roger
Antioch TN