pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Help understanding the unread articles count

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Help understanding the unread articles count
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 22:42:35 +0000 (UTC)

Tim Hogan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 01 Sep 2007
07:04:05 -0600:

> I am looking for someone to help me understand the unread articles
> counter in the "Group Pane".  After I download new headers there will be
> a bold number next to each group that has new articles, say for example
> that alt.binaries.photos.original shows a number of 635 new articles. If
> I open the group and then go back to the group pane without making any
> changes , all of a sudden the new article count is down to 483. What
> happened to the rest of the articles?

See my just-posted reply to Greg Lee, on the How do I get a header count
for all groups, thread.   Basically, the group command returns an
estimate.  If you actually go visit the group and pull down new messages,
you may have less, due to spam filters or out of order fill, or whatever.

Also note that when you actually pull down overviews (wrongly but
popularly aka headers), if it's a multi-segment post (there's segments
and parts, here I mean individual segments of a message generally as
split by the posting software, not parts generally pre-split by the
poster, of course some posting clients can pre-split parts as well as
segments...), pan combines all the segments and counts it as a single
post.