pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: System crash, Pan reset to defaults

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: System crash, Pan reset to defaults
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 02:43:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:22:02 +0100, Dave wrote:

> On Friday 07 September 2007, walt wrote:

>> I'm not sure what pan does if it finds a corrupt posting.xml, but I'll
>> do some experimenting after I post this.
>
> I've done some since I posted.
>
> If posting.xml is missing one of the following can happen.
>
> 1  Pan creates a new one on exiting the program. 2  Pan creates a new
> one if you create and save a profile. 3. If you delete an existing
> posting.xml while pan is running, both 1 and 2 above apply.

I find that pan is amazingly robust when reading a corrupt posting.xml
file.  I've injected garbage ascii characters and deleted entire lines
of posting.xml and pan calmly restores a corrected version with no
complaints.  I am truly impressed with pan, but I fear I can't help
you with your particular problem, sorry.