pan-users

[Pan-users] Weirdness with multipart posts containing images

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Weirdness with multipart posts containing images
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:57:12 +0000 (UTC)

I've just applied the patch that was posted for fixing the broken display
of previews, but there is/was another odd behaviour that I've been
running into quite frequently as well with 0.132 on OpenSUSE 10.3.

Sometimes when viewing a post with an attached image, the display works
just fine - I see text and then the attachment (it's annoying that the
image is what's centered in the message body rather than the top of the
text, but that's a minor annoyance).

Other times, pan prompts me to save the image rather than viewing it; if
I right-click the message in the header pane, I can select "read message"
and it'll display properly.

There are several examples of this in the group povray.binaries.images on
news.povray.org.  The message posted by "St." entitled "Some Welsh
Lovespoons" does this.

But if you go to the second post in the thread "These Magnificent Men in
their Flying Machines", the message displays without prompting to save
the image.  Ironically, the first message in that thread does.

Does anyone know why Pan does this and how to fix it?  And as a
corollary, if there's a way to fix the display so the message is
displayed with the first line of text rather than the first image
(necessitating scrolling back up to the top of the message to see the
text before viewing the image), that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Jim