pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Posting an attachment?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Posting an attachment?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 04:51:45 +0000 (UTC)

Travis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 20
Apr 2008 17:30:04 -0700:

Correct -- by itself.  However, it's possible to attach them manually if
you have a UUEncoder (pan doesn't have the setup to properly do MIME/
Base64 as that requires specific headers, and yEnc attachments won't
properly paste into the text-only editor).

I've created a bash script called pan-attach to semi-automate the
process, using pan's external editor feature.  Actually, I've created
two.  Pan-attach itself, lacking its own UI, was an original proof of
concept that I hoped someone with proper coding ability would run with,
but no one did, so I eventually created pan-attach-kd, which makes use of
the kdialog UI/dialog package to handle the GUI.  pan-attach was
evidently too rough and hard enough to use that nobody ever commented on
using it, but I've had several say they use
pan-attach-kd.

To use pan-attach-kd, you'll need kdialog installed as I mentioned. It's
part of the kdebase package on distributions that don't split it out into
its own package. You'll also need uuenview from the uudeview package, to
do the actual encoding.  (I've had reports that standard uuencode works
too.)  Just run it from a terminal window to get further information.
The script is available at my web page, here:

http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n/

I should do an update someday.  I've got a couple patches folks have
submitted, but it does work, as long as you have bash, kdialog and
uuenview installed.