pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Migrate settings from old pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Migrate settings from old pan
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:33:15 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:42:02
+0000:

>>> Nope.  New pan and Old pan are completely different.
>>
>> Well, not /completely/.  Some of the files are the same, some
>> different.
>
> True, all good points, too - I'd forgotten about the scorefile
> similarities.  I was thinking more the databases.

Yea... scorefile (mostly) the same, but it pays to manually fix it up as
I said anyway.  Databases absolutely different, but the payoff is
**MUCH** more efficient memory management from pan.  The config files,
different altho a few of the settings will look familiar, but they really
have to be different, because pan's server and newsgroup organization is
vastly different now.

The cache files...  the same, and it'll save some work/time redownloading
if you have a big cache, but the part I missed to say is that because the
database is different, you have to redownload overviews in ordered to
actually /see/ what's cached.  Still, not having to actually redownload
the messages themselves is nice.

Something else I didn't say... while there are some new features,
definitely better for those who do multiserver (due to automated
handling) and/or binaries (due to the vastly better memory handling), and/
or text if you want to archive the posts in-group "forever" because they
no longer expire locally when the server expires them, there are a few
missing features, and a few features that just work differently.

One of the biggest missing features for which there is as yet no
replacement (other than running a local server such as leafnode,
programming it to automate it, and having pan connect to it) is the rules
that allowed such (optional) things as auto-delete of killed messages,
auto-mark-read of negative-scored messages, and auto-download of watched
(and if desired other score zones, high, medium, etc) messages.

The other often requested feature is a way to categorize groups, made
possible by setting up different servers in old-pan, before pan automated
server handling.  I did explain the work-around for that, running
separate pan instances using the PAN_HOME environmental variable to point
to the appropriate config for that instance.