pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: make errors

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: make errors
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:42:23 +0530 (IST)

> On Wed, June 18, 2008 10:42 pm, Duncan wrote:

> Perhaps someone else better qualified can help you with the error.
> However, while we do try to help with old-pan (0.14.x) where possible,
> it's now officially unsupported, with the C++ rewrite, 0.1xx (currently
> 0.132) being the supported alternative.

I did not know that.

> If you're just being put-off by the unstable label, don't worry about
> it.  0.132 is as stable as 0.14 ever was, and the rewrite uses far less
> memory and has better binary and automated multi-server functionality.

Eh.. I thought unstable means... unstable of course. And I tried both
versions on my friend's Intel Core 2 Quad processor running WindowsXP and
none of them ran, complaining of some missing DLL file. Hence I did not
compile the unstable version thinking that  I will get make problems on
Linux which I did get with stable version.

> Of course, being a rewrite and due to the same automated multi-server
> functionality, the GUI is a bit different now and some users,
> particularly text users, prefer the old 0.14.x version.  That's
> legitimate if no longer officially supported.  However, even then, I'd
> suggest trying the last in the series, 0.14.2.91, over the older 0.14.2.

I tried the unstable version. It compiles and installs successfully
without any problem. I will report if I get any run-time errors.

-- arnuld
http://uttre.wordpress.com/

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com