pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: score a troll

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: score a troll
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 06:52:26 +0000 (UTC)

thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:46:17
+0000:

> I think I might try a different client.  Any suggestions?

Binary or text?  Binary, klibido works well, but I'm not sure on the
status of kill-filing, as I used it some time ago.

Text... there's many -- I /think/ knode has better filtering but again
I've not used it for /quite/ awhile, and slrn is well regarded and pan's
scoring is based in slrn's scoring, but slrn's is MUCH more powerful in
that it can actually score on the post itself, not just the overview
headers, and its scores have include directives and all sorts of similar
fancy stuff that has (AFAIK) never been implemented in pan.

I've also heard good things about (Sylpheed) Claws, and tried it years
ago but rejected it then for various reasons, including IIRC that I
wanted a binary client too, and it didn't do yEnc.  However, that may
well have changed over the years and even if not, it's likely fine for
text.

It's not something I'd consider since I don't do proprietaryware
(couldn't even if I wanted to, legally, since I no longer sign away my
rights agreeing to EULAs or the like, and don't accept the usual damage
waiver if it's black-box, if I can't see what's in the box, I'm not
taking responsibility for the damage it may cause, thus getting legal
permission to install or run it even if I wanted to would be...
difficult), but I've also read that Joe's suggestion, Forte Agent, works
well under wine.

Then of course, if you're an emacs fan, there's gnews, which if it
doesn't do what you want already, is certainly quite extensible to do so
using lisp, but then if you were an emacs fan, I'd expect you'd know
that...