pan-users

[Pan-users] Rule to block crossposts

From: Daniel Mahoney
Subject: [Pan-users] Rule to block crossposts
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:42:23 -0500

I've been running Pan as my newsreader for a couple years and I've been using the "Filters" tool to plonk spammers, etc. Now I'd like to figure out how to block crossposted messages.

My googling suggests that I need to write a rule to describe crossposts. I've looked at several pages describing how to write slrn rule files, but I've also read that slrn regexs and pan regexs differ somewhat. And I haven't seen anything that shows clearly how to detect crossposts.

I have seen a specific example that shows how to detect messages crossposted to a specific group, but I want to ignore any message posted to more than one group (I know, that's a perfectly valid and often tool, but the groups I hang out in don't lend themselves to use of crossposting).

If worse comes to worst I'll start looking at the source code and create myself a tool to do what I want, but I'm sure that someone out there has done this before. Could anyone point me to pages where I might learn morea bout writing Pan rules, or perhaps even explicitly to a page that shows me how to do what I'm trying to accomplish?