pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan setting folder

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan setting folder
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:11:45 +0000 (UTC)

Jethro Tull <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 25
Aug 2008 19:08:53 +0000:

> I just read in the official Pan's FAQ that i could change the pan
> personal settings folder (by default ~/.pan) in the preference menu in
> pan. I'm using Pan 0.132 in a KDE environment and can't find anywhere i
> can set the settings folder in the preference menu or anywhere in pan.
>
> actually my pan is storing its data and settings in ~/.pan2. I might
> have touched it long time ago, but now i don't find how to change it
> again.

Again, please kill the HTML.  Pan doesn't do HTML, please don't post HTML
to the pan lists.

That FAQ is outdated, for old-pan (0.14.x and previous).

For new-pan, including the 0.132 you mention, the default is ~/.pan2, and
you set and export the PAN_HOME environmental variable, pointing it at
the appropriate directory.  pan reads that var if set in its environment
and loads the config it finds in the pointed to dir.

In the servers reply, I mention using pan launcher scripts.  This is
actually why I use them here -- to run multiple separate instances, each
with its own separate configuration and cache, setting PAN_HOME
appropriately before launching pan.  Here, I have three separate configs,
binary, text, and testing, but obviously you can setup your configs for
whatever usage you want.