pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan servers settings

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan servers settings
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:49:54 +0000 (UTC)

Jethro Tull <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 27
Aug 2008 22:13:56 +0000:

> Actually I'm using hotmail. this enables RTF by default. now I disabled
> it, it should be ok.

Yes. =8^)

>> Second, you don't mention what version of pan you are using,
> since i posted for another issue just before in which i mentioned the
> version number here i completely forgot.

I hadn't gotten to that one yet (I had newer posts sorted first).

>> Newer pan checks all configured servers that have a particular group,
>> seeing what posts are on all of them.
> you mean pan uses all available servers to update news? for a given
> group, say alt.os.linux, all the posts should be same either on one
> server or the other, is it? maybe except that some servers are late to
> update. so why does pan uses many servers?
> anyway if Pan finds one post same as what it found on another server
> will it download it anyway?

Yes, pan uses all servers.  However, pan tracks by Message-id which is
the same across all servers, and only downloads it in one place (unless
you tell it to download it again after it has expired from cache or
something).  In fact, it does the same for cross-posts too, downloading
it once if you read both groups and marking it read in both.

The way it works is that pan starts downloading one post from the first
server in a rank (yes, that's what I meant by priority), starts another
on a second connection... up to the number of connections you allow, and
does the same for other servers in that rank.  Thus, if you have four
connections each to two servers, it can be downloading eight separate
parts at once.

If one server has less parts than the other, pan will skip ahead,
downloading all the parts it can get from it until it has everything on
that server.  Since that server has less parts, after the first few, pan
will be ahead on that server anyway, so it'll naturally get all the parts
it can from the server with the least parts, downloading any fills it can
from those with more parts as it gets to them on that server.

Once it has finished downloading what's available on all servers at a
specified rank, it goes on to the next rank.  (Note that while the GUI
only shows primary and backup ranks, two ranks total, by editing
servers.xml directly, you can create as many ranks as you have servers,
if desired of course.  If your server allows more than four connections,
you can do the same there.  Pan has a number of such "advanced" settings
only available by editing its config files directly.)

> you mean "server's rank" in Pan "servers settings"? i have already tryed
> it.
> actually, wherever i am only one server works. Whatever the priority
> settings i always get the error message that one server is off and no
> news are downloaded at all.

Yes.  That's what I explained later.  Pan checks all configured servers
for messages, and will complain if it can't get ahold of one.
Unfortunately, there's no way to tell it to continue anyway, or to
temporarily disable certain servers, thus the workaround I suggested.

(When we were first playing around with this feature, we tried setting
the connections for a server to zero, hoping pan would interpret that as
a disabled server.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  It still complained
and refused to go further, now without even trying to connect.  Still,
some of us hope that Charles will get around to fixing it up so it works
that way at some point.  Of course, if someone that new how to code
provided a patch for it, adding say a "disabled" option in the GUI and
making that 0 connections in servers.xml, it'd probably get in faster.)

>> The workaround, if you don't want it to check all your servers (say you
>> can't access some at all part of the time), is to configure multiple
>> server sets (using multiple servers.xml files and switching them out
>> manually).
>>
> ok i'll try doing it.

>> If you need help with the shell scripts, just say so, and I can post
>> samples you can modify to fit your needs.
>>
> I think:
> ##-------
> cp ~/server1.xml ~/pan2/servers.xml
> pan
> ##-------END
>
> is enough?!!

That should work, providing you keep the source server files in ~, of
course.  I was thinking more along the lines of putting them all in the
same dir (~/pan2 by default), and just switching them out in place.

> but will kde run it again from the same script to run pan at next startx
> if in previous session there was a pan session running at logging out?

If you have it setup to do so, it should, yes.  Tho it really shouldn't
matter since once it's copied over, pan would continue to use the same
one every time until the other one is copied into its place instead.

What I did here is setup something like this, for several different
pan configs, PANDIR is set to a base dir (~/pan/) in my login scripts:

#!/bin/bash
# set the gtk2rc files path, note the wrap
export GTK2_RC_FILES="/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:~/.gtkrc-2.0:~/kde3.5/share/
config/gtkrc-2.0"
# set pan's config dir
export PAN_HOME=$PANDIR/bin
# set a working dir, at one point pan was dumping misc files
# so I set this up so it wouldn't dump them directly in ~
cd ~/pan/scraps
# execute the pan binary, passing any command line options
exec /usr/bin/pan $*

I have three different scripts, each the same except for the line
setting/exporting PAN_HOME, which points to the bin subdir for my binary
instance (above), the text subdir for my text instance, and the test
subdir for my test instance.  Simple enough. =8^)

You could do similar, but probably don't need the scraps thing any more
and as long as you don't need multiple instances, you'd delete that, but
add the lines shuffling the servers.xml files.  Of course, you'd set your
the gtk2rc files path appropriately as well, if necessary:

#!/bin/bash
# set the gtk2rc files path, note/correct the wrap
export GTK2_RC_FILES="/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:~/.gtkrc-2.0:~/kde3.5/share/
config/gtkrc-2.0"
# switch the servers config
cp ~/.pan2/servers1.xml ~/.pan2/servers.xml
# execute the pan binary, passing any command line options
exec /usr/bin/pan $*

You'd then call that one pan.serv1 (or whatever) and setup another called
pan.serv2 (or whatever).

Here, I changed the original pan kmenu entry to point to one of them
(text), then added another pointing at another (bin), and only run the
third once in awhile so run it from the open dialog only.  You'd point
yours at pan.serv1 and pan.serv2, or whatever you called them.

If you do it this way and have KDE set to relaunch stuff opened when you
last shutdown, presuming you had pan open, it should launch the same
kmenu entry as you had run.  However, as I said, since you're just
copying the files, you could in fact forget about launching pan from the
scripts at all, and just have them copy the appropriate file over, then
start pan normally.  You'd then only ever run the copy scripts when you
wanted to switch from one to the other.

Here, I setup khotkeys entries to launch the the two, as well.  Actually,
that's the only reason I made menu entries for them, was so I could setup
the hotkey launchers, since I basically never use the kmenu for anything
I regularly run, using a hotkey launcher instead, and only use the kmenu
for apps I don't run regularly enough to have a hotkey for.  Of course,
this bit is entirely optional.