pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Save by date...

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Save by date...
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:27:31 +0000 (UTC)

Alexander Solano <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:30:26 -0700:

> Hi! Not quite sure this is the place where I should be asking this...
>
> I've seen the option to save by group name (%g %G), but for the life of
> me I cannot find an option to save articles by date. Is that even
> possible?
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something very simple, but I'm a big noob!

I don't believe it's possible, but you can certainly use the filesystem's
dates and sort the files by saved-date at least.

What I do here is a bit different.  I find stuff I may be interested in,
then download to cache (which you'll need to make rather bigger than the
default, you have to edit the preferences.xml file directly to do that,
by default in ~/.pan2/) instead of saving directly.  Then, after the
messages are downloaded, I go thru them again, viewing them and deciding
if I really want to save them or not.  If I do, I save them off to a
final location while I still have all the information about the post,
what the subject was, the date, the poster, the group, if it was posted
in reference to some discussion/comment/request, etc, and can use that
information to save it to an appropriate directory and sometimes, place a
text file with additional information in that directory.  I delete
messages as I worth thru them, so by the time I'm done, the group is
empty again.  Then, just to be sure, I delete the cache, so it'll start
over clean.  Pan still remembers the messages it has already seen for
that group so won't download them again.

What happened before I started doing it that was was I'd get a big jumble
of unsorted messages and in addition to having trouble properly sorting
them at times, I had trouble finding time to actually sort them.
Downloading to cache, then going thru them again and deciding what to
save and where worked MUCH better for me.

Of course as they say, YMMV.  It may not be your style.