pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: new messages always marked "read"

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: new messages always marked "read"
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 02:47:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:09:42 -0700, Jay Nitikman wrote:

> Recently, my NNTP news-provider moved their servers to a new site.  Now,
> whenever I download headers of new messages, they are always all marked
> "read" before I get a chance to read them.  I cannot easily tell read
> from unread messages...

This happens because each news server assigns its own article numbers to
individual articles.  If you wait long enough the problem will fix itself,
but it might take a long time.

Meanwhile, you can fix it just by deleting the files that reference those
obsolete article numbers, ~/.pan2/newsrc-* and ~/.pan2/newsgroups.xov.

Here is a typical line from one of those files:
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user: 0-10220

In general, those article numbers (0-10220) will be different for each news
server, so you need to get rid of the old ones because they are now wrong.

After you delete those files pan will need to download the list of newsgroups
from each server you use, but only once.