pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: VDQ spellchecker

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: VDQ spellchecker
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:49:05 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 20 Feb 2009
19:47:10 +0000:

>> Pan uses the gtk-spell, if support for it has been compiled in
>> (compile- time optional library dependency).  I imagine gedit probably
>> uses gtk- spell as well. gtk-spell in turn uses aspell.
>
>       I didn't know that trick, and have been using it heavily. Many
> thanks to both!

My frustration is KDE!  It real-time checks spelling and underlines what
it thinks is wrong, just like pan (with gtk-spell), but there's no way to
correct just the one error.  One has to either hit the spellcheck button
and go thru the entire kmail/konqueor/whatever message, complete with all
the technical word "misspellings" it thinks it finds, or do it manually.
There's no nice menu of possibly intended words to choose from.

What I usually end up doing, if it's not a word I know my mistake right
away on, is selecting/copying it so my klipper popup pops up with choices
to lookup the word with onelook, google, kdict, etc.  Usually I use kdict
and if necessary use its sounds like match and go from there, tho
sometimes google, with its "did you mean?" feature, is easier.  It works,
but I'd sure like a popup menu of spelling alternatives like gtk-spell/
pan give me right of the bat.

KDE 4 may have gotten it better.  Unfortunately it's still not to where I
can really use it yet, altho some of that now is that I'm simply not as
familiar with it nor have I had time to customize it to work the way I
do, to the degree I have with KDE 3, now 3.5.10, over the years.  But
it's still lacking functionality/buggy, too, even at the 4.2 level.