pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan2 installed with Macports - how to start it?

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan2 installed with Macports - how to start it?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:20:21 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Joachim Osnabryg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yesterday I installed the Newsreader pan2 with MacPorts on
> Mac-OSX. That needed about 3 hours, but finally pan2 was
> installed. There were no error messages.
>
> My question now:
>
> How to start pan2?

(gulp) this almost went out in HTML. Anyway, I'm at work now, so this
is from memory. First of all, you need to be running the X Server
(maybe just called X11). If you haven't already, you may need to go
back to your installation media to install it, since it is an optional
install. When you run it (start it the same way you would start any
normal MacOS X app), it will bring up an xterm shell window. If you
start pan from that window, it should work (DISPLAY should be set
properly in that shell window). You may need to give the full
pathname. So if I remember correctly, MacPorts puts things in
/opt/local/bin, so that would be /opt/local/bin/pan. There are ways to
start things up from a menu in the X11 app but I can't remember how to
do that at the moment. Maybe this weekend... It's also possible to
start it up from the standard MacOS "terminal" shell window, but then
you have to set DISPLAY yourself, IIRC.
-- David