pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 04:31:12 +0000 (UTC)

"Travis" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 02
Jul 2009 19:18:45 -0700:

>> Our recent pan angel, K. Haley, has already included that change in
>> his/her git archive (git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git) for which I
>> once again send my thanks to him/her.
>
> How do I get it into my Windows version of Pan?

Presumably, you'd find the patch (search bugzilla, and/or the list
archives for it), apply it to the pan sources, and recompile.

I have a script here with Gentoo that makes such patch application as
simple as dropping a file in a directory named for the package, in most
cases, which is nice when a new version of gcc came out and I'm trying to
recompile everything with it, and a lot of packages need patches that
aren't in the Gentoo tree just yet.  The tough part of course is finding
all the necessary patches, tho they're often in Gentoo's bugzilla
already, and if not, very often in other bugzillas (upstreams, Debian,
RedHat/Fedora, Novell/SuSE, etc).  That's the great thing about open
source -- the community works cooperatively enough that once one person
has the solution, it tends to spread to everyone else quickly enough, so
no one person or company has to do all the work.

But of course Gentoo isn't Windows.

Anyway, I think I saw one of the two guys that usually provide Windows
binaries, mention that they were going to apply the patches and see about
getting new Windows binaries out, too.  But I haven't seen the
announcement that they're actually available, yet.  So it's either grab
the patches, apply them and compile it yourself, or wait for them to do
it.