pan-users

[Pan-users] My adventures when building from git

From: Rhialto
Subject: [Pan-users] My adventures when building from git
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 01:01:12 +0200

I'm trying to build Pan from git for my first time. I used to build the
tarballs up to 0.133 without problem. But git is new for me (I'm more
used to cvs and subversion), and I don't use Linux (but NetBSD) or Gnome
(although I do have some Gnome/Gtk programs). NetBSD's pkgsrc normally
builds from source and installs the header files of the packages (so no
split in a user and developer version, as is apparently common with
Linux package systems).

Here are some things I ran into; maybe some of this can be simplified.

- autogen.sh calls gnome-autogen.sh, which I didn't have. For my first
  try, I used a standard litany of calling the auto* tools.
- gmime library version. Configure.in says
  GMIME_REQUIRED=2.1.9
  yet it checks for the version with
  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GMIME, gmime-2.4    >= $GMIME_REQUIRED)

  I do have version gmime-2.2.23 which is much higher than
  $GMIME_REQUIRED, yet it won't be accepted since the package is
  apparently called gmime-2.0 rather than gmime-2.4.

- config.status: error: cannot find input file: po/Makefile.in.in
  This error appeared when I used the standard auto*-litany. When I
  hunted down gnome-autogen.sh it turned out it also did something with
  "glib-gettextize" which apparently fixed that. Fortunately the
  "gnome-common" package, which contains gnome-autogen.sh, wasn't as big
  as I had feared.

- Getting somewhat further, when compiling, I got
  mime-utils.h:67: error: 'GMimeRecipientType' has not been declared
  message-check.cc: In static member function 'static void
pan::MessageCheck::message_check(const GMimeMessage*, const pan::StringView&,
const pan::quarks_t&, std::set<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >, std::less<std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >,
std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > > >&, pan::MessageCheck::Goodness&)':
message-check.cc:472: error: invalid conversion from 'const
InternetAddressList*' to 'InternetAddressList*'
  gmake[3]: *** [message-check.o] Error 1

  The first error (in mime-utils.h) could be because of the unclear
  version specification of gmime (although I didn't fancy upgrading gmime
  at this moment, since it will break my old installed Pan)

  The second error (conversion from const to non-const) seems
  independent of that, but also disappeared after updating gmime.

  I'm using the resulting binary now and will report if I notice any
  particular problems.

So, basically everything except the gmime version specification being
inconsistent was due to my own reluctance (or stubbornness ;-) of not
wanting to install/update stuff.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.