pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Hide user agent?

From: Clunk Werclick
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Hide user agent?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:59:29 +0100

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 10:52 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Clunk Werclick
> <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 29 Jul 2009
> 10:54:57 +0100:
>
> > Is it possible to change the user agent string at all or withhold it? I
> > don't want it in my posts for privacy reasons but can't find an option
> > to kill it?

> Sure, but as with a number of other pan options, it's apparently one of
> those settings Gnome folks like to think is too complicated for a normal
> user, so it's not exposed in the GUI, only in the config file.
>
> All pan's config and data is stored in its data dir, ~/.pan2/ by
> default.  The setting in question appears in the preferences.xml file.
> Search for "user-agent" and you should find it.  Set that false and you
> should be in business. =:^)
>
> (That's for 0.133 anyway, but AFAIK it has been there for awhile.  Do
> note that unpatched 0.132 had a security vuln a bit over a year ago.
> 0.133 fixed that and a few other things, but your distribution, assuming
> that's how you got your pan, may have integrated the patch into 0.132.)
>
> As pan is open source, you can of course download the sources, grep for
> that string (or just "Waxed" should find it), change it as desired, and
> recompile.  However, it doesn't appear there's a non-rebuilding user
> exposed setting, even in the config file, for that, just to toggle the
> header on and off.
>
> Or, if you prefer, the string is also exposed in the binary (at least as
> compiled for amd64), so with a hex editor it'd be no problem to directly
> edit it there, taking all the usual precautions when directly editing a
> binary file, of course.

I was just about to hit it with hexedit when this dropped into the
mailbox. Thank you Duncan;

<flag name='add-user-agent-header-when-posting' value='false'/>

Volia!
C Werclick .Lot
Technical incompetent
Loyal Order Of The Teapot.

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only to be used as an e-mail
and an attachment. Any use of it for other purposes other than as an
e-mail and an attachment will not be covered by any warranty that may or
may not form part of this e-mail and attachment.