pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anybody getting va.forsale??

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anybody getting va.forsale??
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:23:27 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:15:29 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:46:30 -0700, Travis wrote:

I wonder if you're seeing a bug I have with a couple groups.  I've had it
for awhile, but haven't been able to trace it down completely or figure
out exactly how to fix it, except that I know if I start with a new
config (wiping all that pan knows about all the groups, the general
preferences, server info, hotkeys, and scorefile can remain), it works
again.

The problem /seems/ to be related to cross-posts.  In my case (but it
doesn't appear to be in yours, so maybe it's a different problem, maybe
not), I've had a long-time subscription to particular groups.  When I
subscribed to related groups to which some messages from my previous
subscriptions had been cross-posted, for some reason pan gets all screwed
up and won't even actually check for headers.  I /think/ it has something
to do with the high water marks, etc, as if pan is trying to use the xref
numbers for the older/larger group for the new group, and thus ignores
all the posts in the new group since they're numbered way lower than the
numbers it's trying to use from the other group.

As a result, there's several groups that I can't get any activity on at
all, in my pan main text data instance.  I could get them in my test
instance, which didn't have the history from the more active/mature/older
groups to mix it up, but that's not what I wanted, and I've ended up just
sitting on the problem (well, other than mentioning it here a few times),
because I couldn't easily pin it down well enough for a proper bug report
or whatever, and it hasn't risen to high enough priority to spend the
possibly several hours when I'm at my best (IOW, not too tired to think
straight, etc), trying to troubleshoot the thing.