pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:50:39 -0400

On Monday 24 August 2009 02:15 am, Duncan wrote:
> First of all, I had to wait until one shipped with something other than
> the tiny SSDs they put in the Asus EEEs and as, it seems, the primary
> option on the initial AA1s.  I'd been waiting /years/ for a proper MP3
> player with > 100 gigs of space, that ran a user replaceable firmware,
> either Rockbox or Linux.

I've thought about a netbook as an mp3 player too, but compared to the 3 by
5 inch Archos, even the 7" Eee was too bulky.  It had to fit into my jacket
pocket.  But the netbooks may be my only choice now that SSD has taken over
the mp3 player market and the generic 2.5" player-enclosures I expected to
see haven't materialized (though it's still tempting to get something like
this and duct tape a portable TV to it for the display:
http://xrl.us/bfeb9u ).  On the plus side, I certainly could write my own
interface on a netbook and make it really car-friendly.

Maybe someone will come out with a 5" smartbook with a hard disk in it, but
I guess I'm not holding my breath for that ;)

Rob