pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Weird cache problem

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Weird cache problem
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:16:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:24:49 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted on Sat, 29 Aug 2009 05:00:14 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> I'd normally agree, but the system is pretty heavily used - video
>> encoding going on in the background at the moment, lots of compression/
>> decompression going on, and encrypted filesystems in use.  A fair
>> amount of things that would reflect a problem quickly if it were
>> hardware- related.
>
> Not so much video encoding, but /certainly/ encrypted filesystems should
> be /all/ screwed up if it's the memory going, and as I mentioned (quoted
> below), lossless compression such as bzip2, as long as it's checksummed,
> should be showing it too.

Yeah, and I'm not seeing that.  Pan isn't stored in the encfs'd
directories, but other stuff is and it's heavily used.

>> On the weird cached articles issue, I just duped it and the cache files
>> are messed up.  I grepped the text and found both cache files.  Hadn't
>> noticed before, but the message text that *should* be there is appended
>> to the end of the correct file.  Threading looks like a likely culprit
>> - I'll reduce the number of concurrent tasks across all servers to 1
>> each and see if that helps.
>
> Yeah, thread-races could be it.  It could also be the filesystem, but if
> you're running it on encrypted, then no, shouldn't be, unless it's
> /just/ the filesystem, on top of the encryption.

I think a fsck ran the last time I rebooted (when the kernel was patched
about a week ago).

> But thread-races would seem to be the likely culprit.
>
> I don't know if you've tried it or are in a situation where you /can/
> try it or not, but one alternative is K. Haley's pan git repo.  That
> /does/ mean compiling from source, but unlike gtk/gnome/charles-kerr's
> upstream, at least it has current activity, patches applied for several
> things, etc.
>  If you're where you can, trying it would be a good idea.  Tho I don't
> know of any changes at least as posted here that could affect your
> problem, it's worth trying out, anyway.  Here's the git protocol URL:
>
> git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git

Cool, I'll give that a try.  I'm no stranger to building my own
binaries. :-)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson