pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Mismatched headers - Select a particular post, what appe

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Mismatched headers - Select a particular post, what appears is different post.
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 23:51:00 +0000 (UTC)

Paul J. Dudley posted on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 15:54:01 -0400 as excerpted:

> I will look into upgrading. I remember something similar in VMS.
> One would delete ".newsrc" file, restart their news reader ( I gorget
> which at the time ) and things like that were fixed.

FWIW, old-pan (the 0.14 you're using) used its own news tracking format,
tho you could export to newrc or keep it in sync or some such (forgot
exactly how it worked and it's not important enough to fire up the old
version and look, when you can probably do the same from your end).

One of the benefits of the newer version is that it uses common formats
in a couple more cases.  As with the older version, the Score file is a
common format, but the new version uses standard newsrc format files for
tracking group messages, and understands (and uses its own) *.nzb format
files for tracking download tasks, as well as using a standard scorefile.

The catch with the newsrc files, however, is that the standard only
handles a single server, and new-pan is fully multi-server integrated
(provided of course that you have more than a single server available to
configure to use), so new-pan uses multiple newsrcs, one for each server.