pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Multipart Binaries Bug - When Will It Be Fixed?

From: Graham Todd
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Multipart Binaries Bug - When Will It Be Fixed?
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:51:32 +0000

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:32:50 +0000 (UTC)
walt <address@hidden> uttered these words:

> There are several of us here who can probably talk you through the
> steps if you give us enough information.  Depends on your attitude
> towards bugs, though.  If you enjoy hunting down bugs, you'll enjoy
> compiling pan. If you just want it to work out of the box, maybe you
> should encourage your distro devs to pick up the patches from git and
> fix it for you.  No problem either way.
[snipped]

Thank you for your speedy reply.  The problem is that I have arthritis
and gout in my hands, which makes it difficult for me to type.  I use
Ubuntu because it has excellent voice command facilities; that is not
to say other distros probably have not got them, but I feel comfortable
with Ubuntu.

I can type (a bit), and though I do enjoy learning about the way
various applications are coded (no learning is ever wasted), I'd prefer
to get a version of Pan that works "just out of the box" and is
available in .deb format 8-).  However if somebody could hold my hand
when installing via the git repositories, I'd be most grateful for any
step-by-step instructions that could be given.  What information do you
want?

I have raised the matter with the Ubuntu devs who say that until a new
version of Pan code is available, they are not in a position to compile
it and place it in the repos.  I have replied that a new version of the
code is available through a git repository, and been told that the code
has to be available in the main branch and not in a repo that someone
has put together which may well be the start of a fork in the code.
Bluntly, they are not willing to work on the Pan code until it is
offered "officially"; if the Debian repositories carried a patch or the
revised code, that would go a long way to keeping me happy!

I'll raise the matter on the ubuntu-users list and point them to K.
Haley's git repository if that's OK, and see if somebody else will pick
up the patch for Ubuntu users.

Again, thanks for all your help.

--
Graham Todd