pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:08:42 -0800

On 03/10/2010 10:34 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Society has made a choice to create the legal fiction of "copyright" out
of a belief that this will promote the useful arts and sciences.

And, speaking as a writer (Six time Nanowrimo winner, none published. Yet.) I'm glad they have. Writing novels is *hard work.* At least as hard as writing software. I can pretty much guarantee that almost none would be published without copyright protection because that's about the only thing that gives the author any chance at a profit. Mind you, I think modern copyrights last too long, but that's another issue.

And no, I don't have any "reading comprehension" issues. I was responding to the spirit of your comments, not the words themselves. You clearly have issues with the idea of the profit motive, at least when it comes to software, and need to realize that not only doesn't everybody agree with you, but that most people actively disagree.