pan-users

[Pan-users] I finally got caught-up, now having ugly font problems. :(

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] I finally got caught-up, now having ugly font problems. :(
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:56:51 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I finally got time (and ’nads lol) to update as much GNome stuff as I can
remember.
Got all Apple’s official updates for OSX 10.5.8.
Then got all these components built into /usr/local (mostly):
libxml2-2.7.7
libxslt-1.1.26
intltool-0.40.6
gnome-common-2.28.0
gtk-doc-1.13
libiconv-1.13.1
[already had gettext-0.17, no updates available there]
pcre-8.02 [more on this later]
glib-2.23.6
libIDL-0.8.13
linc-1.1.1
freetype-2.3.12
fontconfig-2.8.0
pixman-0.17.2
libpng-1.4.1
poppler-0.12.4
cairo-1.8.10
pango-1.27.1
atk-1.29.92
tiff-4.0.0beta5
gtk+-2.18.9
gtkspell-2.0.16
gmime-2.2.25
gmime-2.4.15  [yes i got both installed; btw gmime-2.5.x wants GPG stuff I
               don’t want to fool with ;) ]
[and of course many other components, mostly I either did not see a need to
 upgrade, or forgot about ’em]

The fonts are what is most–bothering right now.
The fonts look nothing like they did, before I got all this updated; way too
generic right now.
When I updated components that came with Apple’s XQuartz project (freetype,
fontconfig, cairo, etc), I tried to match the --prefix value to put ’em
inside /usr/X11 as Apple did, so not to be confusing in different places.
In freetype, I always edit ftoption.h to enable the “patents” since we _do_
have Apple & m$ licenses here, but something tells me maybe this is why the
fonts look so darn “plain”.
In fontconfig, I dug-up all the subdirs where OSX puts fonts that need to be
scanned as we have had to do before.
I _really_ need help on what else I need to do to fix these fonts, if anyone
has any clues please?

For pan, I did “git clone”s of Charles Kerr’s current repo, as well as
lostcoder’s master.
I decided to use lostcoder for now.
I also decided to apply several patches from these pan bugreports:
351196  [this is why we still need e.g. export LIBS="-lpcre -lpcrecpp"]
403797  [helps keep downloads a bit more sane]
424083  [my “platform info” patch; look at this post’s headers :) ]

I assume lostcoder/master contains most other patches I have had to do
before?  For example, these?:
465763
527313
541676
549655
579753
I can’t tell from lostcoder’s commit-logs there.

I guess I will be running this build ’til something better comes along.
Definitely want to try those weird yEnc postings I mentioned in this list at:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/11664>

Thanks

:)