pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Reproducible crash retrieving headers in million-header

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Reproducible crash retrieving headers in million-header group
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:30:41 +0000 (UTC)

Zing posted on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 05:03:13 +0000 as excerpted:

> This is a shot in the dark, but could you try recompiling pan without
> optimizations?  Something like this should work in your source
> directory:
>
> $ CXXFLAGS=-g CFLAGS=-g ./configure
> $ make
> $ gdb pan/gui/pan
> (gdb) run

Good idea.

Try running it in-the-clear (normal, no gdb) without optimizations, too,
and see if it still crashes.  Sometimes the debugger will cause the app to
run a different code-path than normal, and even when it doesn't, the race
conditions, or lack thereof, are entirely different.

And try -O1, as well (that's an uppercase "oh", not a zero).  Sometimes no
optimizations at all cause crashes where it might work fine otherwise,
because some minimum level of optimizations is often assumed.

That stuff gets drummed into Gentoo users, since we compile from sources
most of the time...