pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Creating an local archive of subscribed groups?

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Creating an local archive of subscribed groups?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:59:53 +0200

Am 22.08.2010 21:56, schrieb Paul Crawford:
On 22/08/10 18:17, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
<snip>
What other (simple, preferably) possibilities do there exist, not
necessarily using Pan for storage, but certainly for reading and
searching?

Regards,

Jurgen

Thunderbird perhaps?

I use Thunderbird as my email client, partly because I have an archive going back years (to Netscape before, and previous to that with Pegasus (I think) that Netscape could import), and partly as I have found it to be the 'least worst' email client that is Linux/Windows supported, though I don't really do email on Windows any more.

Version 3.x has much better searching (I think there is an index database created) but in some other ways I don't like it as much as 2.x

So Thunderbird is usable as a newsgroup client, but only for text groups as its handling of attachments is really quite poor, also I don't know if it can handle 64-bit message IDs. So worth trying, but no general replacement for Pan in my opinion.

Regards,
Paul