pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Creating NZB files

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Creating NZB files
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:06:23 +0000 (UTC)

Adam Moorhouse posted on Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:21:40 -0700 as excerpted:

> Is there (or could there be) an option to create an NZB file from a
> selected set of articles?

Actually, there is... but it's not exactly obvious or direct...

See, for posting, pan is only really designed to handle text, altho it
handles downloading binaries quite well.  Creating nzbs would normally be
for posting with binaries, and since pan doesn't really handle posting
binaries (with the exception of manually encoded UUE format, or use my pan-
attach-kd script, tho I've not actually tested it for awhile and don't
really know that it actually still works with kde4's kdialog, etc)...

But as it happens, pan uses the nzb format for its own task list.  Thus,
all you have to do is make sure nothing else is queued up, set pan offline
so it won't actually start downloading, then queue up the download, and go
harvest pan's tasks.nzb file.  =:^)

You may have to close pan to get it to save-state including the nzb, I'm
not actually sure.  And I'm not familiar with the full nzb format, so
don't know if it can save all pan's tasks natively or if the format was
extended a bit to be able to do so, in which case you might have to
manually clean up the file a bit, as you would if you got other tasks in
the nzb as well.

IOW, I've not actually tested it myself, but from what others have said it
works, and the theory certainly says it does since pan's tasks.nzb is just
that, an nzb file.  But take a look at the raw format a few times and test
it with other nzb clients, before posting them publicly and finding they
don't work, or worse yet, have a download for an unrelated and possibly
embarrassing group queued as well.