pan-users

So, what's a new user to do with huge groups? (was Re: [Pan-users] Re:

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: So, what's a new user to do with huge groups? (was Re: [Pan-users] Re: pan uses large amounts of memory)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:21:17 -0500

On 01/27/2011 12:42 PM, Duncan wrote:
Leo List posted on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:17:52 +1100 as excerpted:
I'm running 64bit Ubuntu and when I start pan, the memory usage
increases regularly until it hits up to 98% if physical memory and about
50% of swap; all up about 6GB.

Is there a way of reducing/controlling this
Text groups or binaries?  Do you have groups with over a million posts
(including parts of posts which pan counts as one)? Especially Giganews is
known to be problematic, due to their long retention.

Once you get up over a million posts, scaling /does/ become an issue, tho
pan handles it better than it used to (the scaling limit used to be 100k
posts, but the rewrite with 0.90+ helped by using opportunistic string
combining in many places, including the count-as-one-post thing mentioned
above for subject strings, and in author strings, which tend to be
massively duplicated as well).  Now, pan handles a million posts
/reasonably/ well, but has been observed to start having problems between
two and ten million (tho I've seen reports of 16 million plus working, if
you're patient and have the memory), depending on memory, number of
groups, number of servers and whether they carry the same groups, etc.

32-bit pan just can't d/l all the headers from Giganews from Really Big groups.

corrupt."